Editorial operations for Seybold Publications, which for more than three decades were based in Media, PA, relocated to San Francisco in mid-March. According to parent company MediaLive International, the ‘move represents a continued commitment … to centralize operations in the heart of Silicon Valley in order to increase internal efficiencies and take advantage of proximity to core customers and the Silicon Valley talent pool.’
Ironically, Seybold founder and namesake John W. Seybold, considered the ‘Father’ of Computer Typesetting, passed away at age 88 during the same week the long-time Pennsylvania office of Seybold Publications was closed, with its veteran staff not making the move.
The organization has subsequently formed the Seybold Content Board, a group of ‘pundits and influencers,’ to help drive the content of the reports and the conference. Also announced were the hirings of Cynthia Wood, director of content for Seybold Reports, and Charles Lenatti, managing editor of The Seybold Report.
‘John Seybold’s original mission in 1971 was to evangelize the use of technology in the publishing industry. This vision guides everything we do,’ said James M. Smith, vice president and GM of Seybold Seminars, Publications & Consulting. ‘By hiring top talents in publishing, consolidating our content teams under one roof, and creating an advisory board with recognized industry leaders to add a unique perspective, Seybold Seminars is poised offer professional educational programs and tools unmatched elsewhere in our industry.’
The Seybold Seminars Content Board includes:
- Eve Asbury, Senior VP and Director, Print and Digital Production, Saatchi & Saatchi
- Frank Gilbane, Editor, The Gilbane Report
- Christopher E. Green, Strategic Technologies Analyst, Information Technology, Time Inc.
- Michael Kieran, President, RoboCatalog, Inc.
- Neil O’Callaghan, Senior Vice President, Operations & Technology, AGT-
- Frank Romano, Professor, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Bill Rosenblatt, President, GiantSteps Media Technology Strategies
- Mark Walter, Editor Emeritus, The Seybold Report
The next event on the Seybold Seminars schedule is Seybold Amsterdam 2004, slated for April 18-21. It includes the two-day Seybold PDF Conference. The flagship Seybold San Francisco 2004 conference will be held August 16-20.