Android Mobile Devices come with a stock standard PDF viewers built in that allows any user to download, and view PDF documents. But there are always users who want more, functionality, power and just apps in general.
Popping PDF Reader into the Android App Store search bar revels 48 results.
The majority are free, with some ranging from AU$1.00 AU$19.01. Let’s focus on the free for now though, and we can follow up with a paid PDF app article at a later date.
- Open PDF documents from email, the web, or any app that supports ‘Share’
- View PDF Portfolios, password-protected PDFs, annotations, and drawing markups
- Search text to find specific information
- Select single page or continuous scroll modes
- Easily zoom in on text or images for a closer view
- Read in dark locations with comfort using Night Mode
- Read long passages with Brightness Lock
- Share files across all of your desktop and mobile devices with Acrobat.com
- Automatically save changes back to the cloud
is another popular reader with 4.6 stars having been installed 50,000 –100,000 times. With fewer features than Adobe’s offering, it is open source and has an ability to donate money to the developer if you are so inclined.
- Open PDF documents to read
- Browne and search the PDF documents on your device
- Read large PDF documents without downloading the entire thing
FoxIt have a reader which a robust range of features that turns it into a bit of a mobile PDF editor. Called FoxIt Mobile PDF, and listed in the productivity section there is a range of features within each function of the product. It has 4.3 stars and has been installed on 100,000 – 500,000 devices
- View PDF documents
- Annotate and comment on PDF documents
- Outline / Bookmark / Annotation management
- File management
- Public cloud integration
There are so many viewers, readers and editors it can be tricky. All have their problems so it is important to know what you want the app for, make sure it has the feature and to read the reviews so you know what to expect. Adobe and FoxIt seem to be the best at this stage in the game.