The PDF/A Competence Center (PDFACC) has announced that the International Standards Organization (ISO) has published an update to the PDF/A standard. Formally known as ISO 19005-2, the new version is referred as PDF/A-2. The latest standard supports compression, transparency effects and layers, embedding OpenType fonts, digital signatures.
The PDF/A-2 standard is based on PDF 1.7, the recent version of PDF (ISO 32000-1). The new standard features a number of beneficial technical innovations including:
- Efficient JPEG2000 compression
- Supports transparency effects and layers
- Supports embedding OpenType fonts
- Provision for digital signatures as per PDF Advanced Electronic Signatures (PAdES)
- Supports embedding one or more PDF/A files in a single PDF/A-2 document
The PDF/A Competence Center (PDFACC) was founded as an international association to address the high-demand for information about PDF/A and to promote the exchange of ideas and experience. Learn more about PDF/A Competence Center and PDF/A at PDFACC website.